What is the correct answer?

Erickson
If someone ask you this and you want to answer I don't want to go anywhere.

日曜日どこへ行きたいですか。

1. どこも行きたいです。
2. どこも行きません。

Or is there any correct answer?

Thanks!

Re: What is the correct answer?

japaneselearninghub
Administrator
<日本語訳 translation into Japanese>

Ericksonさん: 以下の様に質問されて、否定文で答える場合、次のどちらの文章が正しいのでしょうか?

質問「日曜日どこへ行きたいですか」

答え
#1. どこも行きたいです。
#2. どこも行きません。

上に書いた二つ以外にも、正しい答えがありますか?

Re: What is the correct answer?

Natsuki Kessira
This post was updated on .
When you use どこも in negation as どこも〜ない, it means 'nowhere'.
So, #2 どこも行きません(どこも いきません)means 'I don't go anywhere' 'I go nowhere'.

While, you use どこも in an affirmative sentence (as #1), it means 'everywhere'.
Therefore, the English translation of the sentence #1 is 'I want to go anywhere' (though the sentence is not throughly correct in Japanese.)

Re: What is the correct answer?

Natsuki Kessira
Since you want to say 'I don't want to go anywhere' in Japanese, your suggestion #1 is not enough to say.
It only means 'I don't go anywhere' as I mentioned above on the last post.

To say 'I don't want to go anywhere', you need to negate the sentence #1. The verb 行きたい should be changed into 行きたくない, which means 'I don't want to --'.

Finally, as you can imagine already, the correct way to say 'I don't want to go anywhere' is どこも行きたくない(です).

Re: What is the correct answer?

Natsuki Kessira
<日本語訳 translation into Japanese>

「どこも」という言葉は、肯定文で使う場合と否定文で使う場合で、その意味が変わります。

肯定文
「どこも」の英語訳は everywhere = すべての場所において、至る所において
#1 どこも行きたいです = I want to go everywhere.

cf. I want to go anywhere = どこでも(良いから)行きたいです
*肯定文で any を用いる場合は「強意の含意」で『どんな〜でも -- である』
否定文
「どこも」の英語訳は nowhere = どこにも〜ない、どこへも〜ない
#2 どこも行きません = I go nowhere. = I don't' go anywhere.
*否定文で any を用いる場合は「全体の否定」で『どんな〜でも -- でない』